Monday 9 March 2015

Patrick Modiano: Missing Person

“You were right to tell me that in life it is not the future which counts, but the past.”

I am nothing. Nothing but a pale silhouette that evening, on the terrace of a café. I was waiting for the rain to stop, a downpour that had started the moment Hutte left me.

I was nothing, but waves passed through me, sometimes faint, sometimes stronger, and all these scattered echoes afloat in the air crystallized and there I was.

The sand holds the traces of our footsteps but a few moments.

There under the embankment trees, I had the unpleasant sensation that I was dreaming. I had already lived my life and was just a ghost hovering in the tepid air of a Saturday evening. Why try to renew ties which had been broken and look for paths that had been blocked off long ago?

I often mention bars or restaurants, but if it were not for a street or cafe sign from time to time, how would I ever find my way?

She has already turned the corner of the street, and do not our lives dissolve into the evening as quickly as this grief of childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment