Sunday 6 May 2012

David Markson: Wittgenstein's Mistress


... Doubtless none of these was a book which had been translated from English, however, where I have the largest familiarity with writers, but had been written in German to begin with.

Which is scarcely to say that I am not familiar with certain German writers also, on the other hand.

Certainly I am familiar with Friedrich Nietzsche, for instance.

Well, or with Goethe.

Although by saying I am familiar with either of these writers I do not necessarily mean that I am extraordinarily familiar with them.

As a matter of fact by saying that I am familiar with them I do not even necessarily mean that I have read a solitary word that either one of them ever wrote.

Actually the sum total of that familiarity may well extend no further than to my reading of the backs of the jackets of phonograph records.

Such as the back of the jacket on Thus Spake Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, for instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment