Thursday 24 May 2012

Gert Jonke: The Distant Sound


My publisher, you reply, of course knows that I'm not composing anything anymore, and has therefore commissioned me to make the most detailed notes of all my analytical thoughts about both the future of music and the music of the future, by describing how and why I no longer compose anything; he thinks that by writing down all my thoughts about a music that is, at least today, still not able to be composed, I will at some time start composing again of my own accord, without noticing it myself, and someday I will suddenly be in the position to compose that music that has not yet even touched the farthest reaches of the imagination, which is why until then he has commissioned me to write the definitive account of all my thoughts about the world of sound, and thus to write nothing more or less than my theoretical life’s work, for whose closing, final completion, however, I intend to need all the time remaining to me until the end of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment