Monday 13 October 2014

Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Notes from Underground


Talking nonsense is the sole privilege mankind possesses over the other organisms. It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth! I talk nonsense, therefore I'm human

Man only likes to count his troubles; he doesn't calculate his happiness

I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea

To be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased. However, I don't know beans about my disease, and I am not sure what is bothering me. I don't treat it and never have, though I respect medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, let's say sufficiently so to respect medicine. (I am educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am.) No, I refuse to treat it out of spite. You probably will not understand that. Well, but I understand it. Of course I can't explain to you just whom I am annoying in this case by my spite. I am perfectly well aware that I cannot "get even" with the doctors by not consulting them. I know better than anyone that I thereby injure only myself and no one else. But still, if I don't treat it, its is out of spite. My liver is bad, well then-- let it get even worse!

Perhaps I really regard myself as an intelligent man only because throughout my entire life I've never been able to start or finish anything.

I believe the best definition of man is the ungrateful biped

The pleasure of despair. But then, it is in despair that we find the most acute pleasure, especially when we are aware of the hopelessness of the situation...
...everything is a mess in which it is impossible to tell what's what, but that despite this impossibility and deception it still hurts you, and the less you can understand, the more it hurts.

The whole work of man really seems to consist in nothing but proving to himself every minute that he is a man and not a piano key.

No comments:

Post a Comment